There is a lot to be excited about!
I want to share with everyone all that has been going on and all that is coming up!
- This month we are excited to announce that we have added two fantastic Staff members to our team to build out our IDCCA organization for the 2018 election cycle. The first is our new Assistant Executive Director, Jillian Hawkins. She is a veteran of several campaigns and, along with her duties as Assistant Executive Director, will lead our women’s outreach. The second individual is our new Communications Director, Toby Trimmer. Toby is a media veteran and will lead our message development as we proactively go on the attack against the Republican Party.
- I am proud to say that we have begun an effort to bring women’s issues to the forefront within the IDCCA. Last month I called upon the County Chairs to form our first ever IDCCA Sexual Harassment Task Force. This Task Force will be developing a long-term value statement for the IDCCA and a reporting process for individuals to come forward within the IDCCA. Mercer County Chair Jan Occhi and Sangamon County Chair Doris Turner are the Co-Chairs this Task Force. State Senator Melinda Bush and State Representative Jehan Gordon – Booth will also serve on this Task Force.
- With limited time before the Democratic Party, the IDCCA is doing our part to raise Democrats awareness of our excellent field of Attorney General candidates. This month we have chosen to focus the IDCCA Newsletter on each of the candidates. Please take some time to read their articles to get to know them. We have also begun the process of planning two candidate forums for the Attorney General candidates. More information will be released once these have been finalized.
- We have begun planning our 2018 Precinct Committeeperson and Votebuilder trainings. Please contact Executive Director Kovats if your county is interested in co-hosting one of these trainings. We have also begun planning our expanded 2018 Candidate Boot Camp that will include advanced candidate training, first time candidate training and County Chair training.
- We have been actively working with and endorsing candidates across Illinois. We have recently endorsed Secretary of State Jesse White, Treasurer Mike Frerichs, Comptroller Susana Mendoza, Brendan Kelly for Congress (IL 12th) and JB Priztker for Governor. We will continue to roll out our endorsements over the next couple of weeks.
- We have expanded our outreach to many of our partners. Executive Director Kovats and myself have met with or talked to several groups including the Illinois AFL-CIO, Illinois Women’s Institute for Leadership, Indivisible Illinois and many others.
2018 is shaping up to be an exciting year for Illinois Democrats. Stay tuned for many more exciting developments for our Illinois Democratic County Chairs Association.